Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Enigmatic Creme Egg

Now that Easter is here, lovers of junk food can rejoice.  Jellybeans, Peeps, Chocolate Bunnies......but none please your author more than Cadbury Creme Eggs!  Yes, those chocolate-covered, gooey, mysterious treats that only appear on the candy shelf once a year.  Many people find them kinda gross, but I love 'em.  Ever since I was a kid I would methodically unwrap the colorful foil wrapping and gaze with wonder at the familiar egg shape and then take a bite.  Observing my teeth impression in the chocolate as the sugary, white and yellow-dyed goo would stick all over my fingers and chin.  There is just something about this seasonal sweet egg that brings me unbridled delight.

The only problem is that I can never find it, even during the Easter time of year when it's supposed to be available.  For some reason this is a very rare egg in the boundaries of New York City.  About a month ago I came upon a few of them in a Duane Reade and I bought one.  I showed my co-workers back at the office, holding aloft my new-found treasure.  No one could believe my excitement.  But to my dismay, the next few weeks have passed and I have yet to see them re-stocked on the shelves.  Does this city simply not have the means to order more Cadbury Creme Eggs?  Is there not enough demand from the five boroughs?  Is there too much demand?  Am I looking in the wrong places?

I have yet to find answers to the mystery of the missing eggs.  I even once had an ex-girlfriend's mom mail me a box of eggs from Chicago every year.  But this year another Easter season is passing and I've only been fortunate enough to eat one solitary Cadbury Creme Egg.

As I was preparing to write this post I also found that there was a Cadbury Creme Egg scandal a few years ago when Cadbury shrunk the size of the egg without an explanation to its customers.  At first the company denied it, but when they could no longer get away with the lie, they finally admitted the egg had indeed shrunk by 5g in the United States because of a financial decision (i.e. rip off customers) made by their American distributor, Hershey.

Here's a video below of an actor and fellow Creme Egg lover talking about the proof of the difference in size.

No comments: