Wednesday, July 25, 2012

3 Weeks in Asia

My apologies for being away from this blog for so long.  For most of May into early June I was traveling on business through Singapore, China and India.  Right before that I moved to a new neighborhood and much of June was spent fixing up the new place.  Now that I am back and more settled I hope to not be such a stranger to this site.  I will aim for a post or two a month.

I think this would be a good time to share a few photos of my latest travels.  3 weeks was a long time to be away and, although it was a bit exhausting, the experience was great.  I started in Singapore, where I spent a few, sweaty days and then off to China.  I saw 4 cities in China, including Beijing and Shanghai.  One crazy night I was trying to get back to my hotel, but the cab driver didn't speak English and we spent 15 minutes debating with each other in our respective languages, not having a clue as to what the other person was saying.  I finally got a co-worker, who was Chinese, on the phone to help with directions.  After China, came India, where I had a similar situation.  I thought I was prepared this time, since I had the directions written in Hindi by the hotel staff, but the driver turned out to be illiterate (not totally uncommon for the rickshaw drivers).  Luckily he got out of his cab and walked over to a group of men that was able to tell him what the note said.

Onto the pictures...

I found this man and his grandson in the Forbidden City.  Look at his expression.  I love this picture.


This intense scene was all about chess.  I saw this guy 2 days in a row in the same park in Shanghai, drawing a crowd each time.  Must be a local favorite.


The West Lake in Hangzhou was a popular destination for lovers.  This young couple was strolling the shores in the rain.


This fuzzy guy was for sale in 798 Art Zone in Beijing.  Everyone was enraptured by his cuteness (and yes, he was intended to be someone's pet, not lunch).


These golden guys are to be found in Lingyin Temple.  


Watched the sunset over the Arabic Sea with this guy while talking on the phone to Grandma.


Grilled corn vendor in Mumbai.


Saw this bronze lady riding her bike in the Botanical Gardens in Singapore. 


Sky over Hong Kong.

No comments: