Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Utah on iPhone

OK, so I'm in this camera transition. When going on a vacation, where I'll be traveling outdoors most of the time, I don't feel like lugging my Canon FT QL with all its myriad of lenses and accessories. In the past I have used my mid-range camera, which is a high-end point-and-shoot. But I've found lately that my iPhone takes just as good pictures as that camera, if not better. Basically, all my latest photos are taken with my phone. And as an amateur photographer I feel a little bit guilty about that.

I love shooting with film on my Canon FT, but it's just not appropriate for every situation. Right now the iPhone wins. Eventually I'd like to figure out another option.

Anyway, this summer I headed out West a couple of times, passing through Utah and New Mexico. Here are some pictures I took of Utah, a beautiful state. In fact, I'd say some of the most picturesque landscapes I've ever seen. I definitely need to get back out there and do more exploring.

These first pics are taken in the Snow Canyon area. Gorgeous, red-carved sandstone.
Petroglyphs, left by artists long ago for us to wonder at.
Slot canyons that don't even look like a natural formation. Corridors of the Gods.
This was just a short walk from where I was staying. A hummingbird nearly flew into me here. I followed the dried river bed as the sun rose.

The rest of the pics are from my day at Zion National Park, originally known by its Indian name of Mukuntuweap. I guess it was too hard to pronounce. This place really made me want to grab my harness and rock climb. But I understand it's super-intimidating here.

No comments: